09 June 2010

R.I.P. Edward D. O'Brien

I do not know much about Edward D. O'Brien (Attorney at Law in Patent, trademark & Related matters, deceased), but I do know that like me, he was a connoisseur of weirdness.  

I'd been first in line at his estate sale, intent on scooping up a trove of free energy, borderland science, occult and psychic healing books for my online bookselling business. When I got home, a document fell out of a book entitled, "Exotic Patents." It was a letter, dated 1991, from the newly retired Edward D. O'Brien to the publisher of the book. In the letter, Mr. O'Brien explained that From Jan. 1, 1955 to the late 1980s, he had accumulated a series of patent collections and that he had given the collections the following titles:

1. Historical
2. Hysterical
3. Mechanical Perpetual Motion
4. Magnetic Perpetual Motion Type Motors
5. Unapproved Medical
6. Psychographs
7. Miscellaneous Borderline Subject Matter

He wondered whether the publisher was interested in the book he was in the process of writing. (From all indications, this book was never completed.)

At the sale, I had viewed a shelf full of notebooks about which I was told erroneous information, and in my purchasing frenzy was unable to discern their import. But upon reading the letter, I knew I had to return to the sale the next day (when everything would be half-off) and get my hands on the notebooks, which I now realized were part of the patent collection. I couldn't help myself. Hence, I am now in possession of a large plastic tub crammed full of unusual patents photocopies, a partial manuscript, and miscellaneous patent-related papers and articles. 

The patents date all the way back to the late-1800s, and up to the 1980s. In perusing the papers, I've already noticed a late-19th century/early 20th century obsession with electricity. Nothing, it seems, was exempt from electrification back then.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. My plan is to expose the most hysterical of the patents, little by little, in these pages, as time permits. Please stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment